Magnetic Resonance Imaging
(MRI or MR)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI or MR) is among the safest and most comfortable medical imaging procedures available.
MRI can image virtually any part of the body, including the brain, spine, internal organs, muscle groups, tendons and ligaments, bones, central nervous system, and flowing blood in virtually any part of the body to distinguish possible areas of concern
MRI is Ideal for:
- Diagnosing multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Diagnosing tumors of the brain
- Diagnosing strokes in their earliest stages
- Diagnosing infections in the brain, spine, abdomen or joints
- Diagnosing tendonitis
- Visualizing torn ligaments in the wrist, knee and ankle, shoulder, and elbow
- Evaluating masses in the soft tissues of the body, abdomen, or pelvis
- Evaluating bone tumors, cysts and bulging or herniated discs in the spine
- Evaluating the arteries and veins throughout the body
Benefits of the MAGNETOM Aera 1.5T
The MAGNETOM Aera offers doctors an array of diagnostic possibilities and provides patients with a more comfortable experience.
Like all MRI’s the MAGNETOM Aera uses magnets that are measured in Tesla (T) to acquire images. At 1.5T, the MAGETOM Aera offers superb image quality that may be used for a wide range of medical needs – from orthopedic and sports- related injuries to dynamic liver imaging – and can help physicians make quicker, more accurate diagnoses.
The MAGNETOM Aera boasts a 70 cm open bore – the tube-like structure of an MRI machine, where the patient lies during the imaging process – and can provide access for obese patients of up to 550 pounds. Additionally, the system’s ultra-short bore (145 cm) can help to alleviate concerns of claustrophobic since many exams can be performed with the patient’s head outside of the bore.
The system is equipped with two exclusive Siemens technologies: Tim™ 4G and Dot (Day optimizing throughput). The combination of Tim and Dot improves the entire MRI workflow and delivers patient-centered care. The results are faster, more comfortable exams for patients.
Advanced TIM technology
With TIM (Total Imaging Matrix), MAGNETOM Aera offers superb imaging performance. Patients benefit from more flexibility, accuracy, speed, and diagnostic confidence.
TIM’s integrated coil technology means the patients will only have to enter the scanner one time to perform an entire Head/Neck/Spine combination. The scanner will step down and automatically compose the sagittal images for review. Faster scanning means patients will need to hold still for a shorter amount of time and spend less time overall on the scanner for excellent image quality and total comfort.
- Quiet Suite – Up to 97% reduction in sound pressure
- Exceptional image quality
- Faster acquisition and exam time
- High patient comfort with 70 cm Open Bore and in combination with ultra-short system design
- Expanding care to a wider range of patients (e.g. claustrophobic or obese patients 550 lb weight limit)
- Broadening clinical possibilities (e.g. interventional MRI or kinematic studies)
Trendsetting in patient comfort
With MAGNETOM Aera, you and your patients – can change the way you think about open MRI. The inner diameter makes CT-like comfort possible. And, the scanner is remarkably short. That enables head-out or feet-first for most exams.
Our MAGNETOM Aera is equipped with Quiet Suite
Advanced noise reduction technologies are present on all MAGNETOM® scanners. Nevertheless, we have continuously strived to develop technologies that will further lower noise without compromising imaging efficiency and quality. With Quiet Suite, we have addressed the root source – sharp gradient switches – to take noise reduction to a new level. Quiet Suite includes QuietX sequences and the inaudible PETRA as well as optimized protocols for neurological and orthopedic examinations. Experience a broad range of benefits:
- Complete, quiet exams for neurology and orthopedics
- No compromises in image quality
- Up to 97% reduction in sound pressure
What Do I Have to Do?
During the MRI, patients are required to remain still during each imaging sequence, which may last 2 to 6 minutes or a total exam time of 20 to 45 minutes. This is a non-invasive procedure so patients can relax and often nap during these tests.
Radiology Center of Fair Lawn is designed with patient comfort in mind; patients may relax and listen to their favorite radio station while undergoing their exams. Our accredited, highly trained technologists will make every effort to make even the most anxious patient comfortable.
MRI is not for everyone
Patients who have the following may not be able to have a MRI test:
- Pacemakers/defibrillators or pacing wires
- Metal fragments in one or both eyes
- Inner ear implant
- Spinal stimulators or Brain Stimulators
- Brain Aneurysm Clips (the newer aneurysm clips may be MRI compatible. Your surgeon should be able to provide any documentation regarding the composition of the clip)
MRI Pre-procedure Checklist
There is no special preparation for most MRI exams. We encourage our patients to wear comfortable clothing such as a sweat-suit without metal snaps for zippers. As a courtesy to our patients we can offer robes to wear if needed.
For our patient's safety, we ask patients to remove all hairpins, body piercings, watches, and most jewelry before entering the MRI scan room. It is best to leave your valuables at home. If you are going to have an MRI of the abdomen do not eat 3 hours prior to your exam.